This is best with small-to-medium oysters that are easy to eat in one big bite.
Apple and Scallion Oyster Ceviche
This is best with small-to-medium oysters that are easy to eat in one big bite. If you have larger ones, cut them in half (and place both halves in a shell).
Make Ahead: The cure (marinade), minus the apple, can be assembled a day in advance and will benefit from letting the flavors meld. The ceviche needs to sit for at least 10 minutes, and up to 1 1/2 hours, before it’s served.
Tested size: 5 servings; makes 20 oysters
- 2 scallions (trimmed), white and green parts separated
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, grated or minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro stems
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime, plus 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon, plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 small apple, peeled, cored and cut into small dice (1/4 cup), 1 tablespoon of that grated
- 20 small oysters, shucked, plus 1/3 cup of their liquor (see headnote), 20 shell halves reserved and washed
Heat a grill pan or a cast-iron skillet over high heat.
Split the white scallion parts in half lengthwise. Transfer to a bowl along with the green parts and toss with 2 teaspoons of the oil.
Once the pan is quite hot, add the scallions and cook for a few minutes, until they are well charred all over, tossing them as needed. The green parts will get done faster; remove them from the pan as soon as they are ready.
Whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, the garlic, cilantro stems, citrus zests and juices, hot sauce, salt and sugar in a medium bowl.
Mince the charred scallions and add them to the bowl. Cover and refrigerate until you are ready to assemble the ceviche.
Shortly before serving, add the diced and grated apple to the bowl. Stir in the oysters and their liquor. Cover and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes and up to 1 1/2 hours.
To serve, spoon the oysters and about 1 tablespoon of the diced apple-scallion mixture into each half shell. Serve right away.